As the days grow shorter and the leaves start to turn, it’s time to prepare your home for fall. From cleaning out gutters to putting away summer gear, a little bit of preparation now will save you a lot of hassle later. Here are some tips to get you started:
Clean Your Gutters to Prepare Your Home for Fall
One of the most important tasks is cleaning your gutters. Leaves and debris can easily clog them, leading to water damage and leaks. If they need to be cleaned out, do it now before the leaves start falling.
You might also consider installing gutter guards to make next year’s cleanup easier. Clogged gutters can cause water damage to your roof and siding and are also a breeding ground for pests. Fortunately, cleaning your gutters is relatively easy.
First, you’ll need to clear away any debris accumulated on the roof. Then, using a ladder or a pressure washer, remove any leaves or dirt from the gutters. Once the gutters are clean, inspect them regularly throughout the fall to ensure they remain clear and functional. By taking these simple steps, you will help protect your home from damage this winter.
Wash the Windows
Next, give your windows a good wash. Not only will it let in more light, but it will also help you spot any signs of damage. While you’re at it, check the seals around your doors and windows to see if they need to be replaced.
– Start by dusting the frames and ledges with a soft cloth. This will help to remove any dirt before you start washing.
– Fill a bucket with warm water and add a squirt of dish soap. Dip a sponge or cloth into the solution and use it to wash the window panes.
– Rinse the soap off with clean water. You can use a spray bottle or a squeegee if you have one.
– Dry the windows with a clean towel or lint-free cloth.
These steps will result in streak-free, sparkling clean windows that let in plenty of light during the shorter days of fall and winter.
Prep Outdoor Furniture for Storage
If you have outdoor furniture, now is the time to clean it and prepare it for storage. Give wooden furniture a fresh coat of paint or sealer to protect it from the elements. If you have cushions or pillows, wash them now so they’ll be fresh and clean when you need them next spring.
Here are a few simple tips to help you get the job done:
- First, remove any cushions or pillows from your furniture before storing them indoors until spring.
- Next, give your furniture a thorough cleaning. Remove any dirt, dust, or debris with a soft cloth or brush. If necessary, you can also use a mild soap and water solution.
- Once your furniture is clean, dry it thoroughly to prevent mold or mildew growth.
- Finally, apply a layer of protective wax or sealant to help keep your furniture looking its best until next year.
These steps help prepare your outdoor furniture for storage and enjoy it for years.
Following these tips, you can prepare your home for fall and enjoy the season worry-free.